Posts for category: Heel Pain
Discover the best ways to tackle your heel pain and make moving around a whole lot easier.
Heel pain is certainly something you will notice when it happens to you. It may be painful getting out of the bed in the morning. You may find that running errands is a challenge let alone going on your daily jog. If heel pain has been affecting your day-to-day activities, it’s time you did something about it. Our Schaumburg, Elmhurst, Highland, East Chicago, St. John and River North, IL, podiatrists offer up some helpful hints for how to target and eliminate your heel pain.
What are some causes of heel pain?
Common causes include:
- Heel spurs
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendinitis
- Excessive pronation
When should I visit a Schaumburg, Elmhurst, Highland, East Chicago, St. John and River North foot doctor?
While many people who start to notice heel pain often try and tackle the problem with home treatments like resting or icing, if you find that the issue doesn’t subside after two to three weeks then it’s time to make an appointment with us. Of course, those with diabetes, nerve damage or weakened immune systems should come in right away whenever there is an issue.
How can I treat my heel pain?
As we previously mentioned, many people can find relief through easy at-home measures such as:
- Taking over-the-counter pain relievers
- Wearing shoes that provide enough support and are properly fitted to your feet
- Wearing orthotics or shoe inserts that take pressure off the heel and arch
- Icing the heel for up to 15 minutes, at a time 2 to 3 times a day
- Resting and avoiding certain high-impact activities that could make your condition worse
- Performing daily foot stretching exercises to retrain and strengthen the muscles in the feet while also improving flexibility and range of motion.
If these options don’t work, then we may also recommend physical therapy, shockwave therapy, steroid injections or other more aggressive treatment options. Of course, surgery is always the last resort when it comes to treating chronic forms of foot pain.
Don’t let heel pain dictate what you can and can’t do. Turn to Center for Podiatric Medicine in Schaumburg, Elmhurst, Highland, East Chicago, St. John and River North, IL, for the care your feet deserve so that you can get back to what truly matters: your life!
- Arch support
- Stable bottoms
- Width of shoe
- Plantar fasciitis
- Heel pain
- Shin splints
- Delayed fractures