By Center for Podiatric Medicine
July 21, 2017
Category: Foot Health
Tags: diabetic foot care
Diabetes is a condition that, when uncontrolled, can cause circulation issues that affect the feet. If you’ve been diagnosed with diabetes, you should visit a podiatrist in addition to your primary care doctor. A foot doctor at the Center for Podiatric Medicine in Schaumburg, Elmhurst, Highland, East Chicago, St. John and River North, IL can help you with diabetic foot care to protect the health and vitality of your toes, feet, and ankles.
What Is Diabetic Foot Care?
Podiatrists put a focus on diabetic patients because they are at a higher risk of foot problems that progress quickly without treatment. The goal of diabetic foot care is maintaining the health of your feet using preventative measures and treating the feet immediately when there’s a potential issue.
Why It’s Important
Wounds can develop on the feet due to irritated corns or calluses, ingrown toenails, injuries, or shoes that are too tight. Usually, wounds heal on their own after a short period of time, but in diabetic patients sometimes wounds can develop into ulcers that can get seriously infected. In extreme cases, surgical amputation of tissue may be necessary to avoid the spread of an infection.
Diabetic Foot Care Treatments and Tips
Here are a few common diabetic foot care treatments offered at the Center for Podiatric Medicine in Schaumburg, Elmhurst, Highland, East Chicago, St. John and River North, IL:
- Regular foot examinations to check for cuts, wounds, and changes in skin color that could be a sign of neuropathy.
- Toenail clipping to help avoid ingrown toenails.
- Orthotic devices and shoes to protect your feet and keep them comfortable when working.
Observe these tips at home to keep your feet healthy:
- Keep your feet clean every day and moisturize thoroughly.
- Take note of any changes in the way your feet look or feel and keep your podiatrist updated.
- Cover your feet with socks that are dry and clean.
- Avoid walking around barefoot.
Care for Your Feet
Staying active is an important part of staying healthy, which is why it’s important to take care of your feet. Call today to talk to a podiatrist at the Center for Podiatric Medicine in Schaumburg, Elmhurst, Highland, East Chicago, St. John and River North, IL about diabetic foot care and treatments that can help you.